Help Identify and oil leak !!! - Nissan Titan Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
d0va
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Help Identify and oil leak !!!

I have this small oik leak, right where the transfer case connect to the driveshaft ( the joke I think), is very small there allways signs of a drop on it but the floor where I park my T all the time has no marks and sometimes my T is park for 5-7 days w/out being move...
I check around the transfer case and the seal around driveshaft and there is no sign of oil leaking from there, the oil stain or drops are on the brakeline that runs next to the driveshaft.. Hope you gys can understand me I already got lost lol explaining this.... Thanks
here are some pictures to help :

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 4x4 Nissan Titan Texas Edition
ProComp 6" Stg1, 35x12.5x17 BFGMudterrains, 17x8.5 MBWheel, AEM Intake, Helix TBS, Thrush Glasspack, HIDextra lights, OFFROAD READY traction bars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 AM
nascarjody
Shift_Obsessed

It looks like the yoke is leaking out of the plug.

R.I.P ChooChoo AKA Bobby
post #3 of 14 Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
d0va
Shift_Hardcore

is there a repair for it? Thanks

ProComp 6" Stg1, 35x12.5x17 BFGMudterrains, 17x8.5 MBWheel, AEM Intake, Helix TBS, Thrush Glasspack, HIDextra lights, OFFROAD READY traction bars

post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
d0va
Shift_Hardcore

Pls anyone w/ a 6" licf post some pict where the driveshaft and tcase connect pls////
a friend from my local 4x4 club is saying my driveshaft sticks out to much and thinks that could be the problem too

post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 AM
scottsbro23
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0va
Pls anyone w/ a 6" licf post some pict where the driveshaft and tcase connect pls////
a friend from my local 4x4 club is saying my driveshaft sticks out to much and thinks that could be the problem too
That part that your friend is talking about is the same that Jody is...thats the yoke.

RIP Bobby Godspeed Brutha

Happiness Is Beating Bama in Anything, Anytime, Anywhere

“I'll keep my Freedom, my Money and My Guns, YOU Keep the CHANGE"

04' LE 4x4 CC OR BT, PRG Mini Kit, Shackles & OR T-Bars, Toyo 35" M/T's, 08' Rear End, 09 Ranchos, Activetuning, 8000K HID Low/Sylvania Highs & Turns, Flowmaster, VOLANT, UpRev 2 deg, JL Audio Cleansweep, Kenwood Subs, Vshortt Custom Box, Clarion & Sony Amps, Cadence 6.5 Comps, 9" Stubby Ant. AVS, Custom Painted Engine Cover IV

SEMPER FI
WAR EAGLE
post #6 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
d0va
Shift_Hardcore

yeah but the yoke is fine I was referring if there a replacement plug available?

post #7 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
scr38
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
When you lift a truck the yoke is pulled out more from the transmission/transfer case. This is due to the increased distance from the transmission to the rear end. This is not a good thing.
If you look at the photos you can see a dark ring around the yoke where the seal used to ride, before the lift.
You need this:
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52244

Last edited by scr38; 11-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
src4usarmy
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr38
When you lift a truck the yoke is pulled out more from the transmission/transfer case. This is due to the increased distance from the transmission to the rear end. This is not a good thing.
If you look at the photos you can see a dark ring around the yoke where the seal used to ride, before the lift.
You need this:
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52244
So, do you think that by installing that it would solve the leaking problem? I have the same problem and was wondering how to fix it if the leak is coming from there. Would we have to replace the seal and if so is that a easy/cheap thing to do or what? Thanks

post #9 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM
scr38
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
When the yoke is pulled out too much with a lift, the contact between the yoke and the splines on the transmission shaft is made less. This could cause the yoke to try to move around more in the bushing in the transmission, and this could increase the possibility of leaks. Also, when the drive shaft is at a larger angle to the center line of the transmission, which happens with a lift, this causes more side thrust on the yoke as it rotates. This leads to more wear on the tail shaft bushing, and increases the possibility of a seal leak.
By installing the spacer, the yoke is moved back into the transmission, increasing contact area with the tail shaft, which makes the yoke more stable on the shaft. You still have the problem with the increased drive shaft angle, but having the yoke back in the correct position is a big plus.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 PM
src4usarmy
Shift_Fanatic

Cool, thanks for the reply. Guess I will order one of those also. I just ordered my trans mount, getting ready to the axle vent mod and now this, lol.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode