M4ck
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to M4ck Send a message via MSN to M4ck
Retrax Rolltop Bed Cover

(originally posted by MikeZ)

A while back I decided to add a rolltop to my Titan. I love the idea behind rolltops. You get security, weatherproofing and yet still have capability of using bed for large items without having to remove entire cover to put tall stuff in bed. After a lot of investigation, I decided to go with Retrax. They have a good name in the trucks accessory market and also were only company that was making a rolltop for the Titans with Utili-trak and also one specifically for titans without UT. There were a few others that have roll tops that will fit with the UT but the accessories to UT are virtually unusable due to having to modify the UT system. The Retrax requires zero modifications to UT and my bed extender and divider works fine with it. Here is a review of installation procedures:

The retrax arrived in two boxes, one for canister and one box contained the rails. Both boxes were nicely packed and everything arrived in good condition:

The assembly is built on the ground and then picked up and laid in bed of truck. The first step is attaching the rails to canister. There is two bolts holding each of the two rails and the holes for these bolts are predrilled and lined up perfectly. Here is a pic of side rails.

After you install rails, you attach the top cover. This cover goes in front of the canister and is the part that will rest on rail of bed between side rails. The cover is attached to canister using two bolts which again lined up perfectly.Here is a pic of front top cover.

A side note: Retrax includes a gasket material to put on front rail of truck bed because many of these front bed rails are slightly lower then side rails. We found there was hardly any difference in height and did not use the gasket.

Once front rail is bolted on, you will need to find a helper because it is time to lift assembly and place it on truck bed. The assembly is fairly light, just bulky which is why a helper is needed. Once the assembly is in place, Retrax give you a measuring tool to use so that the rear of retrax rail is exactly 1/8” away from inside of tailgate. Once you have everything lined up and double measured, you drill four ¼” mounting holes. There are two in front and two in back. The two in back are regular allen head bolts with lock nuts and washers. The two in front are allen head bolts but instead of using a locknut, they supply you with a rubber grommet nut. This will add in final adjustments and also makes it much easier to get nut on since you will have to reach up behind UT rail. One end of grommet is blank and other end has the nut insert. Push the blank end on bolt and then just hold it while screwing bolt and it will find nut insert by itself. Here are some pics of bolts and rubber grommet nuts:

Once all bolts are on, go ahead and tighten them down. Now it is time to check for adjustments needed. Retrax recommends 1/8” of side to side play for cover. All you do is get on drivers side and pull cover all the way to you. Now put a piece of tape or marker mark where cover sits next to rail. Now push the cover the other way and measure distance. It will more then likely be a ¼” or so. But whatever it is, start added shims that are provided until your distance is 1/8”. This took about 20 minutes or so to perfect but Retrax advised it is single most important thing to do. Not only does it provide a smooth rolling cover but also will eliminate any cover rattling at high speeds. Spend some time here and it will pay off.
Once all adjustments are made, the only thing left to so is attach drain tubes. On bottom of canister, there is two drain fittings. You need to attach the supplied hose to this drain fitting and route it out of truck. As of this review I still haven’t decided where to route and am not in a big hurry to as total weatherproofing is not needed yet and I want to make sure I pick best place. Plus I have encountered two very hard rains since install and have yet to find any water in bed!! Once I do, I will add to review and advise where I chose, But here is a pic of fittings:

The Retrax can be driven around fully retracted or extended or somewhere in between since you can lock it down at any position. The lock has its own set of keys. You can also open and close tailgate without retracting the top. I did opt to buy some extra weather stripping for tailgate that Retrax offers. Not only does this provide extra security against water but a truck bed with cover can suck in dirt and dust. This stripping eliminates that from getting into bed. It was only an extra 25 bucks and I am glad I did. Here is a pic of weather stripping.

If I left something out that you are curious on, please feel free to contact me and I will answer your questions. I hope this review was helpful.

Time to install: 1.5 to 2 hours
Ease of installation: A 3 on scale of 1-10 with 10 being hardest.
Overall satisfaction: A 9!!! I love it.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--Updated
2004 XE KC 4x2 Radiant Silver | DYNO: HP 350.16 TQ 404.68
Surgeon General never said anything about smoking a Hemi!

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: Airaid TBS : Westin Bull Bar : Aries Oval OffRoad Steps
: UPREV Tune 93 Octane/Nitrous

Josh M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode