CAI opinion - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum

post #11 of 21 Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 AM
titanandme
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had the K&N and like the Airaid more. Love the sound of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 PM
jerry helton
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do a little research on your smart phone. You will soon find out that the S&B cai is far superior than all of the others.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-27-2015, 05:10 PM
SGREENLYN
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry helton View Post
Do a little research on your smart phone. You will soon find out that the S&B cai is far superior than all of the others.
I usually hang out on the Armada side and am considering an intake, including the ones mentioned here Any Titan brethren using an air advance? Thinking about bidding here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Advance-...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Or maybe the version with the K&N filter.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Canadian Miner
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Looking at their images they're reusing the stock tube and running the stock box without the lid. My 2 cents is this style of intake is going to pull hot, and dirty, air from the engine bay which is the last thing you want to do.

If you want to save money go with a good drop in filter and modify the stock box. If you have more budget consider the AIRAID MXP, or a sealed unit from S&B or Volant.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew 4x4 Cummins
H&S, AFE, Zone 6" Lift, BD Steering Brace, Black Rhino Rims, 35" Yokohoma Geolandar, Powerboards, Lorado Cover, Vision-X LED

SOLD - 2005 SE Crew Off-Road Big Tow High Utility
KC Lights, Nissan Brush Guard, PRG Performance Lift, RADFLO, Deaver Packs, 35" Duratracs, 34" AT KOs, Backup Light, Stillen Rad, AT Grounding Kit, MXP Intake, JBA Titanium Ceramic Long Tubes, Cajun Cat'd 2.5" B Pipes, 08 Pipes, Borla Swap, Ultra Quiet, UpRev Tuned, Timbren SES, RC Traction Bars
post #15 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 AM
SGREENLYN
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Miner View Post
Looking at their images they're reusing the stock tube and running the stock box without the lid. My 2 cents is this style of intake is going to pull hot, and dirty, air from the engine bay which is the last thing you want to do.

If you want to save money go with a good drop in filter and modify the stock box. If you have more budget consider the AIRAID MXP, or a sealed unit from S&B or Volant.
The description says it's a 4 inch tube with a velocity stack layered inside. To me it looks like a burger motorsport for BMW:

But I don't think they do any Nissan.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Canadian Miner
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
If those BMW applications don't seal against the bottom of the hood they'll have the same issues with ingesting hot engine compartment air.

From right to left:
- No box lid;
- New Conical Filter;
- New 4" adapter, with the stock MAF installed;
- New 4" to 3" reducer;
- Band clamps, and
- Stock intake tube.

If the kit included a new sealed airbox, or a new box that 'sealed' against the hood, it could be interesting. However without that I strongly suggest you consider a different kit.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew 4x4 Cummins
H&S, AFE, Zone 6" Lift, BD Steering Brace, Black Rhino Rims, 35" Yokohoma Geolandar, Powerboards, Lorado Cover, Vision-X LED

SOLD - 2005 SE Crew Off-Road Big Tow High Utility
KC Lights, Nissan Brush Guard, PRG Performance Lift, RADFLO, Deaver Packs, 35" Duratracs, 34" AT KOs, Backup Light, Stillen Rad, AT Grounding Kit, MXP Intake, JBA Titanium Ceramic Long Tubes, Cajun Cat'd 2.5" B Pipes, 08 Pipes, Borla Swap, Ultra Quiet, UpRev Tuned, Timbren SES, RC Traction Bars
post #17 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM
SGREENLYN
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Miner View Post
If those BMW applications don't seal against the bottom of the hood they'll have the same issues with ingesting hot engine compartment air.
Yeah, I have the BMS intake for my Bimmer and it does ditch the top of BMW's sealed airbox. Most BMW intakes do that. I started with an Injen for my Bimmer that had a metal tube that pulled air from the bottom front. It claimed +17 and actually added 8-10 until the metal got hot, then it dropped my car from 410+ to 370-. It was a terrible intake once warm. The BMS intake adds 5-10 consistently. Like the Armada/Titan, the BMW air box is ambient, there is no ram air into it which is crazy if you are going to build an air box.

Which intake would you recommend?

I looked at Injen which uses an open cone:

http://www.injen.com/galleries/produ...1952_dynos.pdf

There is a box version, but the box has slotted sides and a pre-fiter as a top. I don't understand why you would pre-filter the top with the sides open? Or why you'd have an unsealed box for that matter. It looks like the same intake as their open version but with a half blocked cone.

The Airaid and K&N don't have lids and the boxes are also open on the sides.
And the S&B has a box with a top but an open side. Only the Volant and the older Airaid version look sealed. But I've read people trading the Volant for K&N or Airaid, too.

My Armada fan blows a lot of air up and into that front corner so it seems like anything unsealed just pulls in radiator air. I can't see any way for air to get in around the headlight, mine is sealed and blocked by a metal firewall. Even the front grill side sections are diverted to go through the center radiator.

At a loss right now.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 02:53 PM
SGREENLYN
Shift_lurker

Looking at this Injen page closer now

http://www.injen.com/search.asp?stop...elID=15&Eng=V8

The same intake goes from +24 to +28 horsepower after they wrap a prefilter around the open cone?
post #19 of 21 Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 PM
SGREENLYN
Shift_lurker

About to pull the trigger on an intake. Does anyone know the Volant filter specs? Also, is anyone running or know where to find an Air Advance Mamouth? Their ebay ad lists it at the bottom: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Advance-...e=STRK:MESE:IT
post #20 of 21 Old 09-21-2015, 10:53 AM
clevertony
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the K&N Cold Air Intake installed on my ride and I have no complaints.

2004 Nissan Titan LE King Cab 4WD

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode